These are the best books I read for the first time in 2010. The genres are Fantasy and Science Fiction, because that’s what I usually read. I strongly recommend all of these books. I’ll happily read these multiple times – either for sheer enjoyment, or to find further depths in the writing, or both.
These first few are in the top one-percent of books that I have EVER read.
- The City & The City – so richly detailed, it’s fascinating. I read it in 2010, posted the review later 😛
- The Speed of Dark – an amazing book with an autistic protagonist. It makes you think, but it is not depressing
- Voyages by Starlight – a collection of short stories which are that much more amazing when put together. What a variety of voices!
- Not Wanted on the Voyage – literature, and Canadian. Reminded me of Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
- Remnant Population – fun and very, very good. Always nice to hit that combination.
- Before they are Hanged – Think of this as The Belgariad re-interpreted by Hannibal Lechter. Warning: this is book 2: the first book in this trilogy, The Blade Itself, was only 4 stars so it’s not on this list. But you definitely should read the first book first – it will get you used to the point-of-view whiplash.
- The Last Argument of Kings – Closing book of the First Law trilogy. This dark fantasy takes an ironic delight in turning the genre conventions upside down.